Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Pack list for Borneo

Done packing! I ended up with a meager 15kg, and half the space left in my backpacks. I must've done a too good job sorting out what to bring. On the other hand, now I can fit my small (32l) backpack inside the large one (70l), which was kind of the point from the start. I can't wait to see if I've packed too little or too much. Exciting!

My method when packing has been to write down the pack list as a simple text file, using my favourite editor. Innocent bystanders are watching over the process.

Here's how it looked before; and I'm sorry for the extremely sucky layout, but blame blogger. No way to adjust alignment after upload? No way to add a caption? Come on! Also, I'm sorry for the crappy quality; I accidentally left the camera on ISO1600, and now it's stowed away.

Gear













Clothing



















Essentials













Boots made for walking













And the final result













Here's the pack list in all its glory:

CONTAINERS
  • McKinley 70l sack
  • Waterproof sack cover
  • Vaude Tec Rock 32l
  • Waterproof packing bag
  • Packing bags
  • Plastic bags
CLOTHING
  • Meindl Island Pro trekking boots
  • McKinley sandals
  • Tierra GoreTex XCR shell jacket
  • North Face Paramount Convertible trekking trousers
  • Fjällräven G1000 Barents trekking trousers
  • Haglöfs micro fleece jacket (for Mt Kinabalu)
  • Craft functional underwear
  • Craft functional outer sweater
  • Trekking socks (5)
  • Polyester t-shirts (3)
  • Cotton shirt
  • Bathing shorts
  • Cotton shawl
  • Tough mittens
  • Ski gloves (for Mt Kinabalu)
  • Arc'Teryx cap (for Mt Kinabalu)
  • Bandana (instead of a sun hat)
  • Microfibre towel
GEAR
  • Travel sheet
  • Travel pillow
  • Travel wallet
  • Head lamp
  • Mini LED lamp
  • Foam sheet for sitting
  • Whistle
  • Alarm clock
  • Drinking cup
  • SPORK!
  • Water bottle
  • AA and AAA batteries
  • Low-temp washing powder
  • Sunglasses
  • Notebook and pencil
  • MP3 player (running on AAA batteries)
  • Camelback
  • Shoe wax
  • Leatherman Skeletool
CAMERA GEAR
  • Nikon D80
  • Nikkor DX 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6
  • Nikkor VR 70-300 f/4-5.6
  • SB-600 flash (?)
  • UV filter
  • 0x0F GB memory cards
  • Battery pack
  • AA battery insert
  • Charger
  • Lens pen
  • Bellows
  • Sony GPS-CS1
LITERATURE AND DOCUMENTS
  • Footprint Borneo guide book
  • Malay Made Easy hand book (Thanks J!)
  • The Difference Engine (because I should've read it 15 years ago)
  • Passport
  • Insurance document (multiple copies)
  • Travel documents (multiple copies)
  • Tour plan
MEDICINE AND TOILETRY
  • Ioperamid (a must have!)
  • Antihistamines
  • Ibuprofen
  • Water purifier
  • Sunscreen (30 and 60)
  • Disinfectant hand gel
  • Insect repellent
  • Talc
  • Malaria prophylaxis
  • Fluid replacement
  • First Aid-kit
  • Medical tape
  • Toothbrush
So, tell me what I've forgotten! (Not that I'll be able to do anything about it...)

Weather forecast for Kota Kinabalu about the time I arrive: 28° C, 80% risk of precipitation, thunder storms. Lovely! You can follow Kota Kinabalu weather here, and I will try to post new links as I move around.

If you're interested in trip details, they can be found here, but only in swedish.

I almost forgot; my theme song for the trip is New Model Army - Wipeout. It is unfortunately not available either on YouTube or through Spotify, but here's a piece of the lyrics:
Lost out in the white waves - salt purification
Bright eyes and breathless - this is how Love feels
Wash away the black stuff, wash away the road-dirt
In the thrill of the wipe-out, feel it pulling you under

2 comments: